Monday, August 15, 2011

Dr Pepper Registered Trademark

Tonight I stumbled in through the front door, exhausted from a LONG day at work. I immediately took off my socks, two different patterns of course, and collapsed on the couch. I scoured the internet, routinely searching for some kind of cyber validation that my world exists. I put on a pot of water for macaroni and cheese, and turned to find my mother walking down the stairs in her nightgown. She asked me how my day was and then wrapped her arms around me. I had an earbud playing Lua by Bright Eyes fairly loud and as her embrace strengthened she began to rock me back and forth to the rhythm of the song. She kissed my cheeks and forehead gently and didn't stop for ten minutes. She smelled like Dr. Pepper, which is completely out of character seeing as she HATES the doctor. She hates it so much in fact that I once switched her Diet Coke with my Dr. Pepper at a restaurant just to see her face contort. That's love. That's what love is. I've never felt it so strongly before.

copyright Yasamin Aftahi 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment